Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Two Years Ago, or More Precisely...

In 2002, you know what, that's a story for another blog. I only need to go back as far as 2009. I started making a daily pilgrimage to The People's Sprites, my favorite sprite site. That turned into every other day. Then once a week. Every other week. Once a month. Every other month. To about a couple times a year. Finally when ever I saw a link on someone's site I happen to come across.

In May of 2014 I was raiding the Internet Archive for sprites from dead sites to include in my sprite site, The Sprite Cemetery. I was on The People's Sprites trying to figure out how to mass download all the sprites when it occurred to me, I should check to see if panlemonkey.org is back. It wasn't, but this ad from GoDaddy was there:

(I despise GoDaddy. That's a story for another time.)

I couldn't resist so I looked into it. You can get a free account. That's a good selling point. It hooked me. To hire a negotiator was $70. There's a lot I could do with seventy dollars. That's a mighty fine couple of pizzas from my local pizza shop that serves the best pizza in the world. I've been around the world a few time so I know what I'm talking about. I thought “What the hell, why not? I mean what's the worse that could happen? The owner says no and I'm out $70.”

After a week or so I get an email from GoDaddy saying there hasn't been a response and they are trying again. A few weeks later with no response I pretty much gave up.

No comments:

Post a Comment